WELCOME TO MY WEBSITE
I am a senior BACP accredited psychotherapist and trainer with 15 years of experience of working with clients in a range of settings; in private practice, in the NHS and as Head of therapeutic and mental health services. I also work as a national and international trainer and consultant and have published for the BACP and others.
I run a successful counselling and psychotherapy practice in Brighton and Lewes. My experience has shown me what a profound difference Counselling and Psychotherapy can make to peoples' lives and that is why I am deeply passionate about my work.
My specialist area of expertise and training is in supporting people who suffer from depression, anxiety or trauma to live a fuller and connected life again.
WHY COUNSELLING OR PSYCHOTHERAPY
If you are visiting this page because you feel stuck, down, anxious or distressed, you are not alone. One in four of us experience a mental health problem in any one year.
Some clients experience a sense of shame if they struggle with an aspect of their current life situation. It is as if this is not meant to happen. The reality is that in our shared human experience we all encounter times of distress. Sometimes friends and family can offer support in difficult times and sometimes we may nevertheless choose to look at underlying patterns with a qualified therapist. It does not need to be an either-or-decision; you can choose both.
My training and experience as a Psychotherapist have allowed me to work with clients who come with a wide range of issues, such as:
- bereavement and loss
- relationship difficulties
- feelings of emotional numbness
- survival of domestic violence
- low self-esteem
- work and career related issues just to name a few.
Whatever you come with, my aim is to work together to transform fixed patterns, so that you can live a fuller and more satisfying life.
COUNSELLING AND PSYCHOTHERAPY PROCESS
While it is impossible to describe the deep impact and change that a psychotherapeutic relationship can provide, there are some aspects that form an integral part of the process:
- We will explore your current situation, how you make sense of what is going on for you and what you want to change
- I contribute my professional knowledge and expertise in order to offer a new way of seeing things
- Together we establish a therapeutic relationship in which we can both contribute freely and share our understanding of the current situation
- I support you in containing the troubling situation so that the impact it may have on your life or important relationships is not spiralling out of control
- I work with you to fully engage with your own resources, gain more control and bring movement to a seemingly stuck pattern
- I may suggest some things to you or you may come up with a wish to try out something new. In your own time and at your own pace you can experience how it feels to do things differently
- By understanding yourself more fully, you open up choice. Integrating new ways of being into your everyday life will increase your flexibility to deal with whatever comes your way.
SPECIAL AREAS OF INTEREST
I am interested in working with all issues and all stages in life. I also have specialist experience in certain aspects of work that may be of particular interest to some clients:
I have extensive training and experience in working with people who have experienced trauma. As I am trained in CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) and have worked for the NHS, CBT approaches can also be integrated in the work, if appropriate. I have a special interest in self-compassion and mindfulness and incorporate these approaches into my work.
I receive regular clinical supervision.
I hold a professional indemnity insurance.
I have an up to date enhanced Criminal Record Check
I am open to discuss telephone or Skype counselling in certain circumstances
I work in private practice in Brighton and Lewes.
If you would like to find out more or book an initial appointment, you can contact me on 07791245633 or e-mail me by clicking here
"Experience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to you."
Registered with Counselling Directory